Depending on the health of your lips, a glossed look does a pretty good job of covering up imperfections..but if you want to go matte- Be sure to exfoliate.
Start with dry lips.
STEP1:Dip your finger in coconut oil+sugar
STEP2:Scrub Scrub Scrub
and Viola! smooth and silky AND hydrated kissable lips.
SELFMagazine article Q&A:
1. What are your favorite dark lipsticks this season (products and colors)?
My Favorite dark lip colors this season:NARS Audacious Collection.. cant go wrong with the 40 shades created for their 20th anniversary.
All Matte and fabulous. -Liv is shown here in this tutorial.also love Olivia in burnt red. These lipsticks are with one-stroke, full-coverage.
2. What should you look for in a dark lipstick color when you have the following skin tone? And why?
Fair Skin: a purple based merlot/cabernet will give you a vampy, games of thrones/renaissance look vivien/bette-Nars
- Olive Skin: go for a deep burgundy or mahogany-something with a brownish red base Leslie/Jeanne-Nars
- Dark Skin: i like to use a violet/berry lip and dab a little black eye shadow to add dimension and/or to tone down the sheen -Nars in Liv/Ingrid
- Medium/ Bronze Skin: deep plum Charlotte-Nars/ burnt red-Olivia from Nars.
These particular shades will compliment these skintones the best, highlight flawless skin, and can even brighten those pearly whites. Just be sure to use a foundation with a little more coverage. You wont want your lips competing with blotchy skin, redness or lack of sleep under those eyes. We want those lips to stand out with a bold, clean punch.
3. Does a certain finish look better on certain skin tones? (ie. matte finish versus glossy finish.)
Depending on the health of your lips, a glossy lip can hide dryness.
If you want to go matte- Be sure to exfoliate.
Start with dry lips.
Dip your finger in coconut oil+sugar
Scrub Scrub Scrub
and Viola! smooth and silky AND hydrated kissable lips
4. Any lipliner tricks when wearing a dark lipstick color?
I like to moisturize my clients lips with MURADs-Rapid Collagen Infusion but I only let it stay on while I'm applying the rest of their makeup, when its time for lips I'll wipe off any access moisture, dust with face powder, and apply liner. That way it stays in the lines of their lips w/o feathering.
Dont feel like you need to line your entire lip, just use that pencil to add more shape or add fullness.